Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Experimental Food

Happy St Paddy's Day! In celebration of beef sales, I corned my own beef. I cut the sugar and salt in the recipe and added Irish tea. The brine tastes pretty good. Let's hope the results are good too!

For dessert, I started with this recipe, and removed all the sugar. My body's reaction to sugar grows more severe all the time and I cannot even handle agave nectar. I use stevia or nothing. So here is how I did it:

I baked it at 350 for half an hour. Half the batter was cupcake, the other half small bread loaves.

They poofed tremendously! Far more than they had when I'd put agave in. They are also drier, which I was fully expecting. Obviously, further experiment needs done.

I am frosting them with a very simple cream cheese frosting:

  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/2 t stevia
  • 1/2 T vanilla
  • 4 oz chopped mint leaves
  • 1/2 bar of 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate (3 oz?) - melted
I frosted the lopsided cupcakes and put a mint leaf on them. They aren't bad. I can eat them. I hope everyone else can. They are very very UNsweet hehehe. The mint is really nice too. But there is only so sweet stevia can get anything. And if I want any, that's the only option. If my body accepts more sugar at some point, I think it would be really good with berries in the frosting to sweeten it!

Luckily, everyone I cook for approves of experimentation so that I can end up with more foods I'm allowed to eat. Having a strict diet is a pain in the ass if you can't cook.

2 comments:

Jon A.S. said...

Now that's a great recipe!!! Sounds very tasty...

Jonas

Abifae said...

It was. Next time, more salt. I accidentally overcut the salt by using a very coarse sea salt. So while I halved it by measuring cup, I quartered it by actual amount. Oops! Otherwise it was wonderful.